What is the NFFF Quality Award?
It's a fact that today, fish and chips are still Britain's number one takeaway. The NFFF Fish & Chip Quality Award Scheme is all about finding those shops throughout the UK that give their customers the BEST QUALITY fish and chips, assessing them against our quality benchmark and rewarding successful applicants who pass the inspection and the taste test, with the 'BIG Q' Quality Award sign.
This is so you can be assured of eating top quality fish and chips from a top quality fish and chip shop!
Launched in January 2011, replacing the previous Seafish Friers Quality Award, The NFFF Fish & Chip Quality Award is a scheme aimed at improving standards and rewarding shops that provide top quality fish and chips in a clean, hygienic and safe environment.
This is so the public can be assured of eating top quality fish and chips from a top quality fish and chip shop!
- Recognises the UK's best quality and best tasting fish and chips by assessing them against a very high quality benchmark
- Promotes the use of fish sourced from environmentally sustainable stocks to reduce the impact on fish numbers and the environment
- Raises standards in the UK fish and chip shop sector by highlighting the professionalism of shop owners and staff
- Highlights the importance of producing high quality fish and chips in a first class environment inspected by industry professionals
Why take the Quality Award?
The Quality Award is a great marketing opportunity and promoting your business through the display of an award such as this helps you to increase customer confidence and awareness, and helps your business to stay one step ahead.
The Quality Award also acts as a great opportunity for your business to be independently audited by an experienced, industry approved assessor, helping you to pick up on areas where you can improve your business.
- Show your customers you're one of the best in the UK!
- Get ahead of your competition
- Fantastic marketing opportunity
- Increase footfall
How do I get the Quality Award?
To achieve the Quality Award shops have to undergo a thorough inspection carried out by an independent assessor covering the following aspects:
- Premises - layout, condition and cleanliness
- Machinery, equipment and utensils - condition and cleanliness
- Working practices - intake, preparation, storage, product handling and temperature control
- Hygiene standards - staff, premises and equipment
- Management controls - health and safety, pest controls, temperature monitoring, cleaning schedules, staff training and allergen matrix
- Final product - level of customer service, quality and taste of finished cooked product
How to enter and how much does it cost?
To enter the Quality Award we first encourage you to read through the Guidelines Document to understand what the assessment will cover. You can find the guidelines in the NFFF member zone or by simply requesting them from the NFFF Quality Award enquires.
Once you are happy that your business will meet these criteria you can complete the Application Form and sign the Terms and Conditions form.
The award lasts for two years and costs £400 plus VAT (£480) – that’s less than the cost of one portion of fish and chips a week!
NFFF members receive £50 discount, so they pay £350 plus VAT (£420).
What our holders say!
"It's a fantastic way of maintaining high standards. The assessment process is a great opportunity to invite a qualified and respected person from within our own industry into our business who sees it through new eyes and who can often bring ideas and suggestions."
-Lesley Graves, Burton Road Chippy, Lincoln.
"Towngate Fisheries has held the Quality Award continuously for over 10 years and we consider it to be an essential tool to help us maintain our high standards and demonstrate to our customers we do so. It has always proved to be a useful marketing tool and a great motivator to all our team at Towngate Fisheries.".
-Mark Drummond, Towngate Fisheries, Idle.
so many benefits to being an nfff member, friendly helpful people
Arron Cole, Saltys Fish and Chips